Friday, March 16, 2012

Garlic Mandolin

I love kitchen schnick schnack - Ok, there, I said it - I love kitchen schnick schnack!

I'm always looking for that unique kitchen tool that will rock my world. The other day on Rachel Ray I saw her use a tiny mandolin to slice garlic in even, thin slices. I made myself a mental note, that if I get to a kitchen schinck schack store, I'll look for one of those fancy mandolins. 

Looked a bit like this one.

Now I'm going to tell you a secret about me - I'm totally afraid of mandolin slicers. Deathly, might cut my finger off with it, afraid. As I watched her flash back and forth with the garlic I was bracing myself for the terrible moment that she cuts herself. But she didn't, she's Rachel Ray, not scaredy pants me.

Even with this fear I still wanted to at least look at one. Today we had the opportunity to go to Bed, Bath and Beyond I and hunted down a garlic mandolin and they actually had 2 different styles. The one was all metal and had a slicer on one side and a grater on the other. A double threat! I opted for this one and tried it out right away when I got home and it works great!

Garlic Mandolin from Zyliss
You can fit about 3 cloves of garlic in the slider top at once and it is sliced in nothing flat. As long as you apply consistent pressure, the slices will be even. It's easy to take apart and clean. Just be sure when you are putting it back together that the slider on top is put in the right way (one end has straight edges, the other is rounded) so the slider slides over the blade all the way.

Price was $10.95 and is about as long as the palm of your hand. When the time comes to move it will go in a shipping box, not in a yard sale box :o)

I give it  ✮✮✮✮✮ out of 5

Aloha a Hui Hou!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead, don't be shy. Love to hear your thoughts and helpful comments!