Sunday, February 26, 2012

Picking out the Counter Top

The counter top has given me much to think about. In all the kitchens I've owned in the past I have had formica like counter tops and I have been happy with all but one (the one we have now it's really bad).

You see, in Germany, when you move into an apartment or a house, it comes without a kitchen - so you have to buy and new one or modify the kitchen you had at your last place. You'll always, always need a new counter top.

In the first kitchen I purchased I had one that looked like marble and had them add white wood trim to match our white wood cabs.

For my second kitchen I picked formica counter top that looked like butcher block to match my oak wood cabinets and also added the wood trim.

In my last kitchen  I went for cheap, off the rack and that worked out just fine too.

After that I lived in rentals that included kitchens and I had no say - If I don't have to pay, I'll be happy with what I get.

Right now we've narrowed it down to Burnished Glaze - Formica

This swatch looks a bit hazy - it looks much better in real life. 
Siliestone - Santa Fe Brown.


and tropic brown granite


We are still waiting on the bid for the Silestone - but I was shocked that there is "only" a $600 difference between the granite and the Formica...I'll have to sleep on that for a few days....weeks...not gonna lie - it's a toughie...

Now a question for you. What kind of counter top do you have? Do you like it? Is there something about it you don't like? Tell me about it!

Aloha a Hui Hou!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead, don't be shy. Love to hear your thoughts and helpful comments!