Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Driftwood

I have developed a passion for driftwood, the texture, the feel, the look, the thought of what it's been thru...what's not to love!

On the mornings that I get to go to the beach I've been picking up a piece here and there, ranging from small to forearm large.  It's been fun!  



The wood is very water logged and full of sand. The first thing I do is spread it out in the sun to dry it out a bit. After it's air dried for a few days I knock off the sand, try and shake it out of the holes. Some times the sand just runs out, like an hour glass. Last step is to steam out the rest of the water and kill off any buggies that might be living in the wood - I leave in in the oven for a few hours at low temps and TA-DA!! The wood is light, dry and bug free!


By now, I'm sure you're asking what is she going to do with that driftwood? Here are a few ideas...





And by now I bet you're thinking - "Where can I get my hands on some driftwood!" yeah...I thought so!

I'll keep collecting and keep you posted about the things I've created for the house, using the drift wood I've collected.

Aloha a Hui Hou!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead, don't be shy. Love to hear your thoughts and helpful comments!