Thursday, February 16, 2012

Mantel

Next week David and Lisa will be starting on the corner where we plan to put the wood burning stove. Part of that area is a wrap around mantel.

Since we're changing so much, I want to bring some of the history of the ranch back into the house and I would like the mantel to be made of wood from the wood barn we have out back. My dream was that it would kind of wind up looking a little like this:



Today they went out back to check the barn and let us know that the planks are about 2x8. We could have a really wide mantel, but it would only be about 2" thick. For us, that was too thin and sticking way to far into the room. We thought 4x4 would look much better, talked a bit about getting reclaimed wood to make the mantel and left it at that for now.

There I was, left with my thoughts and while I was thinking an idea hit me. What if we cut the plank in 2 pieces and stacked them? Not necessarily in the middle, but cut it so one of the pieces is 3 1/2" wide and the other 4 1/2" wide? Then have a small lip on the edge so that what ever we have up there won't slide off.....that could be interesting...don't'cha think?

Once again I sat down with my  beloved photoshop and my wacom and started to draw:

Side view

Front view with lip
Now its time to wait and see what's possible.

Aloha Hui Hou!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead, don't be shy. Love to hear your thoughts and helpful comments!