Tuesday, December 13, 2011

First batch of Christmas cookies

I thought with no Christmas tree this year it would be kinda hard to get into the spirit - but I guess it's a part of me. The urge to bake Christmas cookies and purge my pantry hit me on Saturday and Sunday was the day I scratched myself together and started with Butterscotchies.

Butterscotchies are one of my sisters favorite and Claire's (my daughter).

The recipe is simple enough - all you have to dois read the package of Nestles Butterscotchies:

Preheat your oven to 375

In one bowl sift together (I like sifting - makes things more - FLUFFY)
1 1/4c flour 
1 teaspoon baking soda 
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Set aside.



In a second bowl mix beat the following together:

2 sticks of Butter
3/4c Sugar
3/4c packed Brown Sugar

Next add:

2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or grated peel of 1 orange

Then fold in: 


3 cups quick or old-fashioned oats 
1 2/3 cups (11-oz. pkg.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Butterscotch Flavored Morsels

The recipe says using two tablespoons, drop  your dough on an un-greased cookie sheet. I've always been a bit doubtful about not greasing so I use either parchment paper (and use that over and over again) or use the new/not so new Reynolds non stick aluminum foil. 



The cookies will spread to almost twice the size, so take this into consideration when you fill your cookie sheet. I have a small oven, which = small sheets. I put 6-8 cookies on a sheet.

 Now if you like your cookies chewy they say bake them for 7-8 minutes. If you like them crispy, 9-10 minutes. I found some of the "thicker cookies needed a bit more time for chewy and 9 minutes worked good for me. If there are butterscotchies on the edges of the cookie they will melt and turn a bit more brown than the rest of the cookie  and that's ok!



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead, don't be shy. Love to hear your thoughts and helpful comments!