Sunday, May 6, 2012

And a Chick, Chick Here....

Spring is in the air and the one of the wild Chickens in the neighborhood is showing off her chicks in our yard.

Throughout the day they circle the building, scratching here and there. She let me get close enough to take some pictures, but those little suckers are so fast that it was hard getting something in focus.









She's a pretty bird, love the coloring. That's why I took so many pictures of her...


Playing around with Photoshop....might be a nice print for the kitchen...

Is that because they are wild chickens and have a healthy fear of humans?  When the time comes and we have our own domestic flock, will they be people shy too? Hope not...

When I was in the 5th or 6th grade we went on a 3 day field trip with school. Among other places we stopped at a chicken ranch. My eye caught this one hen as she remained still in her nesting box. She let me get close and I petted her for a bit, and while I was petting her - an egg popped out. To an 11 year old - I thought it was because of my petting skills that she laid the egg then and there.

I came home telling my parents that I want to be a chicken farmer. Looks like it's gonna happen.

Aloha a Hui Hou!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead, don't be shy. Love to hear your thoughts and helpful comments!