Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Fire and Water

There are some projects that we won't be able to do ourselves and the bathroom/plumbing is one of them. This week we have a contractor starting work on our very tiny, very PINK bathroom

It's going to be totally gutted and the only thing we are going to save is the medicine cabinet over the sink. I plan to sand prime and repaint the insides. Then I'll brush the metal frame so it will match the rest of the brushed nickle hardware that's going in. The shower will have black and white tile. There will be wood look ceramic tile on the floor. The rest of the bath will be half white bead board and the other half will be pale blue. Doing this long distance is a challenge. I've spent hours and hours on the computer looking for ideas that we can work off of to create the bathroom we dream of. So for now we're looking forward to seeing my Google searches turn into a bathroom. <==click "a bathroom" to see a drawing of what we hope the layout of the new bathroom will be.

Photo from Google Earth

Another thing that will happen this week is that they will be cutting down and stacking the 14 dead trees around the house.  They will also run the branches and the wood the county left behind when they cleared the irrigation ditch thru a chipper. Home grown mulch! Anyway, as you see, Google updated their satellite maps and you can really see the dead trees.

These are in the drive way. When we were there Roger tried to save them. Watered them every day, gave them spikes, but it didn't seem to help.

This is a small grove of trees, right at the base of the irrigation ditch. Same thing - Roger really worked hard to save them. They might not all need to go, but a couple do for sure
This shows the birch and a group of 5 or 6 pine trees that have to go. They were already dead, dead, dead when we were there. I love the look of the birch and am sad that it has to go

The silver lining is that we will have lots of wood for our first winter in Idaho. WooHoo!

As long as we are on the subject, a fireplace was on our wishlist, but it was one of the things we had to compromise on. After lots of looking I found the Vermont Bun Baker. Again it is a compromise, but a  good one. I wanted one that looked good and had soap stone around it to maintain the heat, maximizing the wood. Roger wanted something that he could cook with. I can't wait, but think we will have to wait till we live there to have it installed.

Aloha Hui Hou!

1 comment:

  1. Uh! just got the text! They started cutting today! Hope to post after pics soon :o)


Go ahead, don't be shy. Love to hear your thoughts and helpful comments!