Saturday, June 30, 2012

Guilty Pleasure

Ok, confession time.

For as long as I can remember I have HATED sweet potatoes and no, I don't think in this case that hate is too strong a word. I've tried, really I tried...and my taste buds just tell me to spit them out.

When I moved to Hawaii I even tried the famous Okinawa purple sweet potatoes - Yuck!

Two Thanksgivings ago I made a Rachel Ray recipe that used fingerling potatoes, including tiny sweet potatoes (recipe I've posted before). I thought with all the cream and cheese I might be able to get them down, but sadly I was mistaken.

Known on the mainland as Black Angus
A while back, Roger and I enjoyed lunch at The Cattle Company. They had something new on the menu - sweet potato fries with maple dipping sauce.

(side note - Sweet Potato fried seem to be popping up all over the place. You can even get them in the freezer section of the grocery store)

Roger put in his order


Our meals were served PDQ (pretty darn quick). The sauce looked interesting and Roger jumped right in and said that they were good, but the sauce was a bit sweet.

I think it was the sauce.

It was calling me.

Taunting me.

"I know you want to try me, I dare you. Try me!"

Of course I did and I liked them...really really liked them. The dipping sauce - Although at first I thought it was too sweet, I am now addicted to it.  

So addicted I have got to figure out how to make it.

I found this recipe today...will have to try it:


Ingredients:
All you need:
1 (22-oz) pkg frozen sweet potato fries (Seem to be very popular right now - you see them everywhere)
¼ cup plain Greek yogurt OR light sour cream
¼ cup Hy-Vee low-fat plain yogurt
2 tsp Grand Selections maple syrup
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
Directions:
All you do:
1. Cook sweet potato fries according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, for sauce, in a small bowl combine sour cream, yogurt, maple syrup and cinnamon.
3. Serve fries with dipping sauce.
Nutrition facts per serving:
205 calories, 8g fat, 1g saturated fat, 5mg cholesterol, 200mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 3g protein
Source: Hy-Vee recipe of month

Bon Appetite and Aloha a Hui Hou!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead, don't be shy. Love to hear your thoughts and helpful comments!